Monday, September 28, 2009

Jade Rice


Jade rice is white rice that has been infused with bamboo extract, lending it a lovely green color. It is supposed to be highly nutritious, with 10g of fiber, 5g of protein and antioxidants in each 1/4 cup. The company brand name that I found is Lotus Foods, and you may be able to find it in a natural food or gourmet grocery, sold in bulk. As you can see, it is very pretty.

You cook it as you would cook white rice. In my batch, I mixed it with brown rice, which probably diluted the color, but even when cooked alone, the green color washes out, unfortunately. The resulting cooked rice looks much like regular white/brown rice.

But, it really does have a distinct flavor, something vegetative... it's nice and lightly aromatic. If you can find it, you might like to try it yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Your bentos are gorgeous!
    MrMan & TinySprite are lucky to have such beautiful lunches.
    I noticed that you live in the Bay Area and I wanted to share my Jade Rice resource with you: Berkeley Bowl, bulk food section, $2-3 per pound. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Kimberlee!
    I love Berkeley Bowl, heh. Aren't you glad they finally opened the new store? It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete