Monday, November 2, 2009

Mini Bento: Yakitori Bento


mini yakitori bento, originally uploaded by sherimiya ♥.
* this miniature is real and 100% edible*
I haven't made a mini bento in awhile, but here is one from the archives that I hadn't blogged yet (I think). This one was a lot of fun to imagine and prepare. :)
For this snack bento I made for TinySprite, I used real chicken yakitori on rice stick skewers drizzled with real teriyaki sauce, "miso soup" in a blueberry bowl with cheese "tofu" cubes, cream cheese and red lettuce "onigiri", and real tiny broccoli florets. All on a swiss cheese plate.
The hardest to make was the onigiri, as the tiny bit of cream cheese melted very quickly. The trick is to freeze it first, so that I had more time to shape it into the traditionaly triangular form, and then add the lettuce and press to stick. There really isn't any liquid in the blueberry bowl, but I could have added water for realism. Even tiny bits of wakame, too for that matter. Next time, perhaps. The rice sticks worked very well as skewers, and by the time my girl ate them, they had softened up enough to chew easily.
The rest of the bento includes a red plum, carrot sticks, raspberries, cherry tomatoes, peapods and pea sprouts.

13 comments:

  1. wow, u have outdone yourself with the minis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really awesome! I love how cute it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those minis are great Sheri ... they are so cute (^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you javapot, Angi and Lia! I love the minis ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, your bento is so cute!!! Totally love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mini foods in bentos. SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so so so so SO cool! But that's why you love doing it, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. veganf and gnoegnoe,
    Yes! I LOVE mini foods too! They are sooo cute and fun to look at ^_^ ! Glad you could enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to the world of mini bento. wow. how can you eat this..too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha, thanks Rach! I make them for my 2 year old girl... at least that is the excuse I give for making them. It's also fun to see her reaction when she sees them. I'll have to post photos of her doing that one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really cute! I'm totally in love with anything mini.

    ReplyDelete